Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Hypocritical Soda Ban

Recently in NYC there is talk of banning all sodas over 16 oz.  This is crazy thought because then people will just get free refills.  It would only apply to restaurants.  This is coming from a guy who host the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Championship.  I will make a sport out of eating too much, but soda is the problem for our obesity.

The irony of it is now Philadelphia's mayor is jumping on board with it.  He does this while cutting the ribbon on a new shake shack fast food chain.  I read through articles reading comments and was amazed by what I saw.  I thought people would of said "this is stupid" or "this is going too far", but instead I found numerous comments saying "This is needed to fight the epidemic".  If people want to eat less buy smaller plates and learn what a portion is.  Stop the monstrosity that gives french fries the number 1 spot in ways vegetables are consumed.

It amazed me that people don't have personal responsibility anymore.  We sue because McDonald's made me fat.  I will eat what I want, and then i'll spend thousands on liposuction, so that I can't eat whatever I want.  I don't think its the food that is the problem, but it doesn't help.  There are two aspects I feel are the problem.  The first is people are uneducated about how food is made and some don't even know how its grown.  The other is our mentality that the government will take care of me.  This also explains why people will take medicine that can cause strokes to grow hair (that's another topics).  We need to take responsibility for our actions, and by the US becoming our nanny we will become less responsible and accept fewer rights.

With that I say to Philadelphia and New York your concept of banning any sugar beverage over 16oz is crazy and you're hypocrites.  You can't blame one aspect of life for our obesity problems, and it won't fix anything and will cost a fortune to enforce.
.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/washington-secrets/2012/06/philly-mayor-backs-soda-ban-dc-after-opening-shake-shack/702476

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More